Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Kindling

A few years ago, when I met people and told them I was a writer, the first question they asked me was, "What have you written?"

Today, their face lights up with a big smile, and they say, "Oh, have you tried the new Kindle?"

The answer I say out loud is no. The answer I'm thinking is, completely not interested.

Somehow I have a feeling that the electronic revolution we've been promised in the book industry may be more of a whimper than a roar. It's not like digital music, where an iPod or digital music player improves upon the existing technology. Remember the days of carrying around a portable CD player? (Let alone a walkman!)

Books, by contrast, are a technology that's already been perfected. They never skip between tracks or run out of battery power. They're easy to carry (at least paperbacks are), the right size and shape to hold in your hand, affordable. If you lose one, you can easily buy another. The only advantage I can see to replacing an actual book with a Kindle is that the Kindle can hold many books at one time, replacing an entire library.

I suppose carrying a library with you everywhere you go is a useful thing when you're going about your day and you're struck by a sudden urge to check a passage in Howards End, and another from Ulysses, and another from Pride and Prejudice. Or maybe you're a voracious reader who likes to make sure to have a back-up book at the ready just in case you finish the one you're reading.

But I never find myself in these situations. If I want a book, I'm perfectly happy to stroll to my neighborhood bookstore and buy it or order it and wait for it to come later. I have time. I can wait. Reading is an activity that cultivates patience and quiet reflection. It is not like the quick fix of ordering a song on iTunes. In fact, reading a book is the perfect antidote to the extremes of our Internet-driven age, when we buzz about like electrons with our websites and text messages and all the rest.

For those of you who want or own a Kindle, God bless you. But as for me, I don't want to replace my library with a screen. The books on my shelves are beautiful. They are covered in thumbprints, scrawled notes, food stains. The pages are dogeared, the covers wrinkled. They sit above my desk and wait for me. And when I have a few moments, I choose one, sit in a quiet corner, open the covers, and begin to read.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Aaron, your books are among my most dog-eared, but it ain't about the Kindle any more. It's about E-books!
My take:
http://www.ereads.com/excerpts/2009/05/scribd-author-joe-quirk-exults-in-his.html

Jaime Gleicher said...

I completely agree. There is no better feeling for me than a book between my hands, no better comfort than to come home to an overflowing bookshelf.

Great running into you in the park today!

Jaime